This course is the third level course for those with responsibility for first aid on commercial vessels, and is directed at those for whom the emphasis is on taking charge of medical care on-board a ship.
Content & Objectives
The course aims to develop the competence required to be able to diagnose medical problems aboard ship, provide medical care to the sick and injured while they remain on board and participate in co-ordinated schemes for medical assistance to ships. Assessment criteria for evaluation of competencies are:
- Identification of symptoms is based on the concepts of clinical examination and medical history
- Protection against infection and spread of diseases is complete and effective
- Personal attitude is calm, confident and reassuring
- Treatment of injury or condition is appropriate and conforms to accepted medical practice and relevant national and international medical guidelines
- The dosage and application of drugs and medication complies with manufacturers' recommendations and accepted medical practice
- The significance of changes in patient's condition is promptly recognised
- Clinical examination procedures are complete and comply with instructions received
- The method and preparation for evacuation is in accordance with recognised procedures and is designed to maximise the welfare of the patient
- Procedures for seeking radio medical advice conform to established practice and recommendation
The course is run over 5 days at the Red Ensign training facility in Cowes.
Candidates must be at least 21 years of age.There ARE pre-requisites in terms of prior training:
- Candidates must have received approved or recognised training in Medical First Aid on Board Ship (in accordance with Section A-VI/4-1 of the STCW Code), and been issued with a certificate, within the previous five years
- Candidates for a certificate valid under the terms of the STCW Convention must have served at sea in a merchant vessel for at least 18 months
- Candidates should be aware that this advanced module is a substantial step up from the compulsory STCW95 for all seafarers.
This course costs £495.00 inclusive of VAT. This price does not include accommodation.
To book, please click the online enquiry button under "course dates" on at the top right hand side of this page or call us on 44 (0) 1983 294088
We are happy to provide a list of local accommodation