The purpose of the training is to give those intending to go to sea a basic introduction to safety procedures and accident prevention and to familiarise them with the employment conditions and working environment on board merchant vessels.
Content & Objectives
To develop competence in:
- Comply with emergency procedures
- Take precautions to prevent pollution of the marine environment
- Observe safe working practices
- Understand orders and be understood in relation to shipboard duties
- Contribute to effective human relationships on board ship
Knowledge, Understanding and Proficiency
- Types of emergency which may occur, such as collision, fire foundering
- Knowledge of shipboard contingency plans for responses to emergencies
- Emergency signals and specific duties allocated to crew members in the muster list; muster stations; correct use of personal safety equipment
- Action to take on discovering potential emergency, including fire, collision, foundering and ingress of water into the ship
- Action to take on gearing emergency alarm signals
- Value of training and drills
- Knowledge of escape routes and internal communication and alarm systems
- Effect of operational or accidental pollution of the marine environment
- Basic environmental protection procedures
- Importance of adhering to safe working practices at all times
- Safely and protective devices available to protect against potential hazards aboard ship
- Precautions to be taken prior to entering enclosed spaces
- Familiarisation with international measure concerning accident prevention and occupational health
- Importance of maintaining good human working relationships aboard ship
- Social responsibilities; employment conditions; individual rights and obligations; dangers of drug and alcohol abuse
Demonstrating Practical Competence in:
Attendance and participation and assessment of evidence obtained from approved instruction during attendance at the course
This course is theory based and delivered in one of the Red Ensign classrooms at our training facility in Cowes.
Other than the required minimum age of 18, there are no pre-requisites for this course.
The PSSR course costs are £97.00 inc VAT This price excludes accommodation. If accommodation is required please contact us and we will provide a list of local bed and breakfasts at reasonable rates.